Beautiful French style interior design
So much more than just shabby chic
If you’re a devotee of French antique and antique reproduction furniture, we’re sure you’ll agree that there’s a lot more to this exquisite style than simply ‘shabby chic’. At Luberon Antiques Gallery we’re all about helping you make your home a haven of timeless beauty, casual grace and elegant comfort.
The ageless patina of time
It doesn’t matter whether you’re inspired by vintage, antique or quality antique reproduction furniture. You may well want to blend all three into your own special look. Regardless, the secret of true French decorating style lies in an overlaying of the natural warmth of wood, stone and metal with that special patina of being cherished by past generations. Add the light, airy accents of old mirrors, crystal chandeliers and bright neutral fabrics and colours and you have a recipe for enviable decorating panache and charm.
French colours - a wondrous palette
You’ll probably be aware that a deceptively simple, cleverly understated use of colour is a major element of true French style. Interestingly there’s actually a strong Scandinavian influence in French colour schemes, with subtle combinations of warm, antique whites and light shades of grey predominating.
Some other thoughts on French home decoration:
- Antique furniture is very often painted in subtle greys containing a pink or blue base or even a tinge of antique yellow.
- Creamy white teamed with grey makes for a look of natural, relaxed sophistication
- White - warm and deep, not bright and cold - is used as an actual colour, not a decorating neutral.
- While the tones of northern France tend towards cool, muted colours such as soft greens, creamy pinks and blue greys, the south of France style echoes the vivid shades of Provence. Think warm dusty reds, Mediterranean turquoises and faded lavenders.
- Whichever end of the spectrum you prefer, harmony is all-important in choosing your colour scheme for this style. Your colours should compliment one another - never compete.
Rich, natural textures and fabric
The casual elegance of linen P2501, is a cornerstone of French decorating style, often in natural shades, but also in subtle colour. Linen and other natural upholstery fabrics are of course key elements of the airy, summery appeal of the French country look. At Luberon Antiques Gallery rich silk taffetas in slightly faded, shabby chic hues are also very popular, along with leather and faux animal skins P2479. The latter, natural cowhide imprinted with zebra, leopard and tiger prints are also available in rugs to add accent and depth to your theme. Whether you choose vintage, antique or antique reproduction furniture, Luberon Antiques Gallery has just the right upholstery and accessory choices for you.
Visit Luberon Antiques Gallery
We love talking antiques - we’d love to hear from you. Call us in the US and Canada on 917-684-2091. Alternatively, please use our contact form.